One of my all time favorites that I rediscovered last Sunday. I call it ‘peanut tofu stir-fry’ for simplicity’s sake. This recipe is from Brittany on ilovevegan.com. She has so many great recipes-including a fabulous vegan gingerbread house recipe that I’m planning on making for the third time once on I’m break.
But back to the recipe at hand… I’m one of those weird people who loves tofu and will eat it raw. What can I say? It tastes good. But tofu is even better when combined with soy sauce, sriracha, and peanut butter. Yum! And if you have never cooked your brown rice in vegetable broth then get ready for a life changing experience. Double yum! Let’s not forget the vegetables: broccoli, zucchini squash, red bell pepper, carrots, and mushrooms. Talk about a delicious flavor bomb. If you are ever craving some veggies or need a good side dish I would make this veggie combo. Dare I say… triple yum!
I made a few changes to this recipe, which will be reflected below. For the original recipe click on the link above.
Brown Rice Base
- 1 cup uncooked long grain brown rice
- 2 1/2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 broccoli spears
- 2 medium zucchini squash
- 1 8oz container of baby bella mushrooms
- 2 small to medium carrots
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 extra-firm tofu
- coconut oil for pan
- 4 tbsp soy sauce or Bragg’s Liquid Aminos (which is what I use)
- 2 tbsp sriracha
- 1 tbsp creamy peanut butter
- water to thin the sauce
The brown rice:
- Start by cooking the rice. I usually cook the rice ahead of time, as real brown rice (not that minute rice crap) takes over an hour to cook.
- Put the rice and vegetable broth in a steamer and cook for 1 hour to 1 hour and 30 minutes or until the rice is fluffy. Do not forget to refill the water in your steamer! I usually do…
The peanut sauce:
- In a small bowl combine all of the ingredients. Easy peasy!
The tofu: (the tricky part)
- Cut the tofu into even cubes.
- Make sure you use coconut oil (or cooking oil) on your pan, otherwise the tofu will stick and then you will be stiring broken tofu bits around. Thus instead of cubed tofu you will have a tofu scramble. Not cool.
- On medium-high heat gently stir the tofu for 3-4 minutes. Be careful to watch out for sticking tofu.
- Add the peanut sauce to the tofu and gently stir/cook until the sauce is less liquidy.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Chop up all of the veggies. Smaller veggies pieces make for faster cooking time.
- Add them to a pot or pan with a splash of water and cook on high until the carrots are tender and the broccoli is bright green. Add more water if the veggies start to stick.
- Add some veggies, brown rice, and tofu to a bowl and enjoy!
Nutrition facts for 5 servings: