Ready to make this hassle free and healthy vegan chocolate chip pancakes? These require one bowl and under thirty minutes to make. And they are oil free and refined sugar-free (minus the evaporated cane sugar in the chocolate chips).
For years I have tried to find a good vegan pancake recipe that did not have oil and a bunch of added sugar in it. All of the recipes I had tried fell short, either the pancakes did not hold together, were not fluffy, produced mushy pancakes, etc. Until I discovered this recipe. With some modifications of my own, I developed the perfect vegan pancake recipe. Fluffy, non mushy pancakes that cook evenly and are healthy, too!
This recipe can be easily left plain (just leave out the chocolate chips) and it works perfectly. I halved my original recipe to make 5 pancakes, but it can be easily doubled and it will still work like a charm.
So without further ado…
Makes 5 pancakes
- 1/2 tbsp ground flax seeds + 1 1/2 tbsp water (flax egg)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp aluminum free baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 packet Stevie
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (I use vanilla)
- 1/4 cup (2 oz-half of a little container) unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 tbsp Enjoy Life Semi-Sweet Chocolate Mini Chips
- In a large bowl, add flax seeds and water and let sit for a few minutes while you gather up the other ingredients. Spray and pre-heat your skillet to 350 degrees F.
- Add all of the other ingredients (I always follow the listed order) to the bowl and gently stir. The trick is to stir them until combined well, but not to over stir. When you over stir, the gluten in the flour will be activated and this will make your pancakes chewy and rubbery.
- Cook the pancakes on a pre-heated skillet. When the pancakes are looking dry around the edges and bubbles start to appear, that is the cue to flip them. My recipe made 5 pancakes (perfect for one person). Feel free to double this recipe or leave out the chocolate chips.
Tip: adding blueberries always seems to make such a mess on my griddle and the pancakes do not cook evenly. So to get your blueberry fix use blueberry syrup and top the plain pancakes with formerly frozen blueberries.
Nutrition facts for one of five pancakes. Includes chocolate chips.