A few years ago I discovered banana ice cream or nicecream on the vegan side of Tumblr. Banana ice cream is a healthy alternative to ice cream and you can make all kinds of flavors. It’s like a thicker and colder version of a smoothie.
My go-to flavors are chocolate and strawberry. With just three ingredients you cannot go wrong with this healthy treat. I make banana ice cream for a meal or as a healthy dessert after a rough day.
- 3 small frozen bananas
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- a bit of unsweetened almond milk, or plant milk of choice, to get it going (add more or less depending on how thick you want it)
- First make sure your bananas are ripe and very spotty. Unripe bananas have more starch in them and can cause stomach aches; they will also have a stronger flavor. I usually have a stash of bananas that I use for everyday use and a stash that I keep to ripen and then freeze.
- Peal and break bananas into smaller pieces (I break one banana into four pieces so that I can then count how many frozen bananas to add later) and freeze overnight in a freezer safe bag. Frozen bananas will keep for 2-3 weeks before they start getting brown and gross looking.
- It is very important that you have a high-powered blender. I use this blender and the food processor bowl works perfectly to blend up frozen bananas.
- Add frozen bananas, cocoa powder, and plant milk of your choice to blender and blend until smooth. You may need to stop and scrape the sides and add more milk.
- Pour into a bowl and enjoy!