This is currently my favorite oatmeal combination! I love the crunchy apples and cinnamon, add in some walnuts and top it with pumpkin butter and I’m in breakfast (or any other meal) heaven. If you do not have any pumpkin butter on hand a bit of maple syrup might sweeten this bowl of oats up a bit, but pumpkin butter is definitely the way to go.
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup water
- 1 small gala or golden delicious apple
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin butter
- plant milk of choice
- Chop up the apple into small chunks, the smaller the chunks the faster the apple will cook.
- Place the oats, water, apple, and cinnamon in a sauce pan on high-heat. When the oats start to boil, stir continuously. If the mixture starts to stick too much I like to add a splash of unsweetened vanilla almond milk. Continue to stir until the oats are cooked and the apple chunks are easily pierced with a fork. They should be reminiscent of cooked apple pie apples.
- Add the oats to a bowl and stir in walnuts and a splash more of plant milk. Top with pumpkin butter and enjoy!