Welcome to Running Vegan.
I’m Kayla and I have been vegetarian since August 2009 and vegan since January 2013. Following a vegan lifestyle is something I believe in and am passionate about. I consider myself an ethical, plant-based, environmental vegan. In other words, I love animals, care about the environment, and I’m not a junk food vegan. 😉
I began running in December 2012. I have raced five half marathons and two full marathons and I plan on racing more distance events in the future. I started having pain from chronic exertional compartment syndrome in August 2014 and after getting tested for CECS in April 2015, I underwent a bilateral (both legs) fasciotomy in all four of my compartments in May 2015. I have not had any CECS pain since-thank goodness! Unfortunately, I ended up with a stress fracture in my right navicular bone (in my foot) in December 2015 and then the same thing in my left foot in September 2016. Now I’m on the road to recovery and running again (plus I’m taking a vegan calcium supplement).
If you have questions about CECS please feel free to reach out. I am more than happy to answer questions. I know I had many when I was going through the CECS process; I searched blogs and hashtags on social media to find people to ask about their procedures and recovery success.
I have a long goal list of running events including, but not limited to, the Boston Marathon, the Chicago Marathon, the NYC Marathon, and the Gold Coast Marathon.
- 1 mile: 6:47 (2013-track time trial)
- 2 miles: 14:05 (2013-track time trial)
- 5K: 22:39 (2013-cross country meet)
- 10K: 51:02 (2018-training run)
- Half marathon: 1:47:54 (2018-Mountains2Beach Marathon)
- Marathon: 3:49:41 (2018-LA Marathon)
- Most miles cycled at one time: 41.37 miles (2013)
- Max weight squatted: 135 pounds (2017)
- Max weight bench pressed: 55 pounds (2017)
You can follow me on:
- Instagram: runningvegan26.2
- Photography Instagram: runningveganadventures
- Pinterest: kaylarose012
- Tumblr: runningvegan.tumblr.com